- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 70g prosciutto
- 300g rainbow chard
- 200g spinach
- 200g risotto rice
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- 1 lemon
- 40g Parmesan
- 800ml boiling water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Crumble the stock cube into a pan and pour in 800ml boiling water. Stir to dissolve, then place on a gentle heat to keep warm.
2. Peel and finely chop the onion. Peel and grate the garlic. Roughly chop half the prosciutto. Separate the rainbow chard leaves off the stalks and finely chop the stalks. Shred the chard leaves and the spinach.
3. Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a large, deep frying pan or wok. When it reaches a medium-high heat, carefully add the reserved whole slices of prosciutto. Fry for 1-2 mins on each side, till crispy and golden. Transfer to a plate and leave to drain on kitchen paper.
4. Reduce the heat in the pan slightly and add the onion, chard stalks, chopped prosciutto and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 5 mins, stirring often, till softened. Stir in the garlic and fry for an additional 1 min.
5. Stir the rice into the pan and cook for 1-2 mins, till the rice starts to make a slight popping noise. Pour in 1 ladleful of hot stock and use a wooden spoon to keep the rice moving till all of the water has been absorbed.
6. Repeat the stock ladling and stirring process till only 1 ladleful of liquid remains and the rice is swollen and nearly cooked – about 20 mins. At this point, stir in the chard and spinach leaves and the final ladle of stock. Pick the mint leaves off their stalks and fold through the rice. Squeeze in the lemon and grate in most of the Parmesan.
7. Have a taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Spoon the risotto into bowls, and top with shards of the crispy prosciutto and the remaining Parmesan.