- 2 onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 carrots
- 200g baby leaf spinach
- 200g feta
- Flour, for dusting
- 300g shortcrust pastry
- 2 tbsp omega seed mix
- 1 egg
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 1 hr + Cooling
1. Warm your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Peel and thinly slice the onions. Peel and thinly slice the garlic cloves. Pour 1 tbsp oil into a large frying pan and warm to a medium heat. Slide in the sliced onions and garlic. Sprinkle in 1 tbsp cumin seeds along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Fry the onions for 10 mins, stirring occasionally, till glossy and starting to soften.
2. Trim and peel the carrots, then coarsely grate them. When the onions have softened, slide the carrots into the pan and stir to combine. Continue to cook for a further 3 mins.
3. Add the spinach to the pan and stir till the leaves are wilted. Fry the wilted spinach for 5 mins, stirring, till all excess moisture in the pan has evaporated. Scoop the vegetables out of the pan and into a large bowl. Crumble in the feta cheese and stir to combine. Pop the mixture to one side to cool. Taste and add a little more salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
4. Dust your work surface with flour. Roll out the pastry to make a large, thin rectangle approx 35cm x 25cm in size.
5. Beat the egg in a small bowl, and brush the surface of the pastry with a little of the egg (save some for glazing). Spoon the cooled vegetable and feta mixture into a line along the middle of the pastry. Fold the pastry sides over the filling until the overlap and press together. Carefully roll the pastry so that the seam is on the bottom. Slice into 4-8 pieces (depending on how big you'd like your veggie rolls to be), and carefully transfer the rolls onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
6. Brush the remaining egg over the top of the rolls and sprinkle with 2 tbsp mixed seeds. Slide the rolls into the oven and bake for 35-40 mins, till deep golden brown in colour and crispy. Serve warm or allow to cool and store in an airtight container. They will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge. You can reheat them in the oven for a few mins to crisp them back up.