- 150g white basmati rice
- 2 butcher's centre cut steaks
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 chilli
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- A handful of basil, leaves only
- 1 tomato
- 1 red onion
- 1 mini romaine lettuce
- 300ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Tip the rice into a sieve and give it a good rinse under cold water. Tip into a small pan and add 300ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Pop on a lid and bring to the boil, then turn right down and very gently simmer for 8 mins, till all the water has been absorbed. Take the rice off the heat and leave it to steam in the pan, covered, for 10 mins.
2. Rub the steaks with 1 tbsp olive oil and a generous pinch of salt and pepper
3. Bring a heavy griddle or frying pan to a high heat. When smoking hot, carefully add the steaks and fry for 3-4 mins on each side for medium rare, or a couple of mins longer for well-done meat. Transfer to a plate, loosely cover with foil and leave to rest.
4. Peel and grate the garlic clove into a bowl. Finely slice the chilli and slide it in. Grate in the lime zest and squeeze in the juice. Pour in 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar. Pick half of the mint leaves and half of the basil leaves. Finely shred them and add to the dressing. Finally, stir in a pinch of salt and pepper and 2 tbsp olive oil.
5. Chop the tomato into small chunks. Peel and finely slice the red onion. Pop both in a large bowl. Tear the lettuce leaves into rough pieces and add to the bowl.
6. Finely slice the steaks using a sharp knife. Pour any resting juices into the dressing and stir well.
7. Add the rice to the salad bowl along with most of the dressing and toss together. Arrange the salad on plates and top with the slices of steak. Finish with the remaining dressing and the reserved mint and basil leaves