1. Get started:
Heat your oven to 160°C/Fan 140°C/Gas 3. Unwrap the beef brisket and pat it dry. Leave it to come to
room temperature (about 30 mins).
2. Place a heavy-based casserole dish or large, ovenproof pan on a medium heat for a few mins. When smoking hot, add 1 tbsp oil and the brisket. Sear for 3-4 mins on each side, turning often, till well browned. Take the pan off the heat. From this point, follow either cooking option below.
3. Cooking indoors:
Pop a lid on the dish or cover with foil. Slide into the oven. Roast for 3½ hrs, turning a couple of times, basting the brisket with juices from the tin.
4. Remove the brisket from the oven and set aside to rest in its juices for 30 mins.
5. Pull the silks off the corn cobs. Slice a sliver off the bases so they sit upright. Run a knife down them to slice off the kernels and slide into a bowl. Dice the tomato. Peel the onion and finely chop it. Halve the chilli, flicking out the seeds and pith, and finely chop it. Finely chop the coriander. Stir everything into the sweetcorn. Zest in the lime and squeeze in the juice. Finish with a pinch of salt and pepper and 1 tbsp olive oil.
6. Slice the brisket (it’ll start to fall apart into strands) and arrange on a platter. Spoon over the juices and serve with the sweetcorn salsa.
7. Cooking outdoors:
Pop a lid on the dish or cover with foil. Slide the brisket into the oven. Roast for 3 hrs, turning a couple of times and basting throughout.
8. With around 1 hr of cooking time left, bring your barbecue to a medium-low heat. After 3 hrs, remove the lid and pop the pan onto the coolest part of the grill. Cover and cook for 20-30 mins, basting occasionally.
9. Remove the brisket from the barbecue and set aside to rest in its juices for 30 mins.
10. While the meat rests, shuck the corn as in step 3 from the previous page. Dice the tomato. Peel and finely chop the onion. Halve the chilli, removing seeds for less heat, and finely chop it. Chop the coriander. Stir everything into the corn. Zest the lime and squeeze in the juice. Finish with a pinch of salt, pepper and 1 tbsp olive oil.
11. Serve on a platter with spoonfuls of juice and sweetcorn salsa.