- 4 handfuls of potato, peeled & diced
- 2 handfuls of swede, peeled & diced
- 2 smoked haddock fillets (optional)
- A glug of whiskey (optional)
- A chunk of butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- A handful of flat leaf parsley or chervil
- Crème fraîche, to serve
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Pop the potatoes and swede in a large bowl. Drizzle in a little olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to mix. Fill and boil your kettle.
2. Set a large frying pan on a medium heat and scoop in the veg. Spread them out so they're in an even layer. Fry for a few mins, so they brown underneath.
3. Meanwhile, pop the smoked haddock fillets in a heatproof dish or bowl, if you're using them. Cover with hot water and set aside to soak for 10 mins. After 10 mins, drain and peel off the skin. Flake into small chunks.
4. Turn the veg in the pan. Pop a lid on the pan and cook for a few more mins, till starting to soften. Stir occasionally.
5. Add a splash of whisky (if using) and a chunk of butter to the pan. Fold in the garlic, leek and thyme. Turn to coat. Cook, stirirng often, till the veg are tender.
6. Fold in smoked haddock, if using. Add the lemon juice, then taste and add more salt and pepper, if you think it needs it.
7. Scoop the Neeps & Tatties Hash onto warm serving plates and tear over some parsley or chervil. Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche, or bread and butter.