- 1 pattipan or 2 courgettes
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp paprika (less if using the hot variety)
- A gloss or two of olive oil
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
- 1 orange or lemon
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (or ground cumin)
- A pinch of chilli powder
- A large handful of rocket, fresh parsley or coriander leaves
1. Get a large frying pan smoking hot. Halve your pattipan down the centre and through the stem. Thinly slice each half. If using courgettes, cut into thin rounds.
2. Arrange the pattipan or courgette slices in your hot pan – no oil needed. Dust with salt. Griddle till tender and a little charred on each side. Dust with half the paprika. Arrange the griddled slices on plates.
3. Pop your pan back on the heat. Add a gloss of oil. Drain your chickpeas. Tumble them into the hot pan you used for your pattipan/courgette. Grate in a good hit of orange or lemon zest. Squeeze in a good bit of juice, enough to nicely gloss the chickpeas. Add your garlic and spices. Season to taste.
4. Tumble them over the griddled squash slices. Add a handful of rocket or herbs. Gloss with oil. Serve warm.