- 75g pearl barley
- 1 red florence onion
- 2 leeks
- 2 sweetcorn cobs
- 120g feta
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- A handful of tarragon, leaves only
- 50g rocket
- 4 tbsp 0% fat yogurt
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 25 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Fill and boil your kettle. Tip the pearl barley into a pan and add a pinch of salt. Cover the barley with 200ml boiling water. Set the pan on the hob and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 25 mins, till tender. Keep your eye on the pan and add a splash more water if it seems to dry.
2. Meanwhile, trim the root and stalk away from the red florence onion. Slice it into bite-sized chunks. Trim the root and woody greens off the leeks, and rinse them under a cold tap. Slice the leeks into 1cm-thick rounds. Pull the leaves and silks off the sweetcorn cobs.
3. Arrange the chopped onion and leeks in a large roasting tin. Nestle in the whole sweetcorn cobs. Crumble over large chunks of feta. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Turn to coat in the seasoning, then slide into the oven for 20 mins.
4. When the barley is cooked, drain if necessary, and tip into a large mixing bowl. Peel and grate in the garlic clove. Grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in the juice. Pick the tarragon leaves off their stems and add to the barley with a drizzle of olive oil. Toss to mix.
5. Remove the roasted veg from the oven. Lift the corn cobs out of the tin and allow them to cool slightly. Carefully stand the cobs upright on a chopping board and run a knife down the sides to slice off the kernels. Tip the kernels into the barley, along with the onion, leeks and feta. Add the rocket leaves and toss to mix. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if you like.
6. Divide the barley and veg between a couple of warm plates or bowls, and dollop over the yogurt to serve.