- 150g bulgar wheat
- 300ml boiling water
- 1 lemon
- 2 spring onions
- A bunch of radishes
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 chilli
- A handful of dill
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A 160g pack of flaky roast smoked salmon
1. Tip the bulgar wheat into a large heatproof bowl. Season. Add 300ml boiling water to the bowl. Cover with a saucer. Put to one side for 15 mins to soak.
2. Heat your grill to medium. Line the grill pan with foil. Finely grate the zest from the lemon and set it aside. Slice half the lemon thinly. Grill the slices for 5 mins till it’s just charred on both sides. Put to one side to cool, then chop into small pieces.
3. Trim and thinly slice the spring onions. Trim the leaves off the radishes and keep them to one side. Finely slice the radishes.
4. Halve the tomatoes. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon or knife (hang onto the seeds and check out our tip at the end). Finely dice the flesh. Halve the chilli. Flick out the seeds and white bits (keep the chilli seeds for our tip too). Finely slice the chilli.
5. Roughly chop the dill and radish leaves, throwing away the thick stalks from the dill.
6. Fluff the bulgar wheat with a fork and stir in the ingredients you’ve prepared and the lemon zest. Squeeze the juice from the remaining lemon half. Whisk the juice with 1 tbsp olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Stir through the bulgar wheat.
7. Flake the salmon off the skin. Roughly chop it. Stir it into the bulgar wheat and set the salad aside 5-10 mins to let the flavours develop. Season to taste. Serve.