- 4 good-sized potatoes
- A glug of olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 2 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- A pinch of paprika and/or ground fennel seeds
1. Preheat oven to 220°C/Gas 7. Place a large baking tray in to warm.
2. Peel potatoes. Cut into chunky or skinny chips. Toss with a splash of olive oil, salt and pepper. Tumble on the warm tray in an even layer. Place on a low oven shelf.
3. Put red pepper and garlic in a dish on the top oven shelf.
4. Roast for 30 mins. Remove the garlic from the oven. Turn the pepper. Cook till soft and blistered, about 20-30 mins, then remove.
5. Turn the chips so they get golden on all sides. Move to the top shelf. Roast till crisp and golden.
6. Remove pepper skin, seeds and stem. Slip the skins off the garlic. Whizz the flesh of both in a food processor with the remaining ingredients, till smooth. Season to taste. Add more honey or spices, if you like. Season the chips and get dunking.