- Sea salt
- 3 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp flour
- 650ml Rebel Kitchen Dairy Free Whole Mylk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- A pinch or two of chilli powder
- 400g penne rigate
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 3-4 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Peppery green salad, to serve
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 40 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Fill a large pan with water. Sprinkle in a good pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Meanwhile, peel the onions and finely slice them. Peel and crush or finely chop the garlic cloves.
2. Pour 2 tbsp oil into a separate large pan and warm to a medium heat. Slide in the onions and add a little salt and pepper. Fry for 5-8 mins, stirring occasionally, till the onions are slightly softened and golden at the edges. Add the garlic and fry for a further 1 min.
3. Reduce the heat under the pan slightly and spoon in 3 tbsp flour. Stir and cook for 2 mins. Pour a little of the mylk into the pan and stir well with a wooden spoon or whisk, till it thickens. Slowly pour in the rest of the mylk, stirring continuously, till fully combined.
4. Spoon 1 tbsp mustard into the pan and sprinkle in a pinch of chilli powder (chilli powder is HOT, so use as much or as little as you like). Give the sauce one last good stir. Bring the sauce to a simmer, then remove from the heat.
5. The pan of water should be boiling by now. Slide in the pasta and simmer for 8 mins, till just tender. While the pasta is cooking, slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
6. Drain the cooked pasta. Tip the pasta into the pan with the sauce (or pop both into a large bowl if the pan isn't big enough). Add the cherry tomato halves. Mix well to coat the pasta. Taste and add more salt, pepper, chilli powder or mustard if needed.
7. Scoop the pasta and sauce into an ovenproof dish a. Sprinkle over the breadcrumbs. Slide the mac & cheese into the oven and bake for 20 mins, till golden and bubbling. Serve with a peppery green salad on the side.