- 3 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp flour
- 650ml Rebel Kitchen Dairy Free Whole Mylk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- A pinch or two of chilli powder
- 400g penne rigate
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 3-4 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 40 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Fill a large pan with water. Sprinkle in a good pinch of salt and bring to the boil.
2. Peel the onions and finely slice them. Peel and crush or finely chop the garlic cloves.
3. Pour 2 tbsp oil into a separate large pan and warm to a medium heat. Slide in the sliced onions and add a little salt and pepper. Fry for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, till the onions are slightly softened and golden at the edges. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for a further 1 min. Reduce the heat of the pan slightly and spoon in 3 tbsp flour. Stir well to combine and cook for 2 mins.
4. Pour a little of the whole Mylk into the onions and stir well with a wooden spoon or whisk, till it thickens. Slowly pour in the rest of the Mylk, stirring continuously, till fully combined. Spoon 1 tbsp mustard into the pan and sprinkle in a pinch of chilli powder (chilli powder is HOT, so use sparingly. You can add more later if you like). Give the sauce one last good stir. Bring the sauce to a simmer and then remove from the heat.
5. The pan of water should be boiling by now. Slide in the pasta and simmer for 8 mins, till just tender. Carefully drain the cooked pasta well through a sieve.
6. While the pasta is cooking, slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
7. Tip the cooked and drained pasta into the pan with the sauce (or pop both into a large bowl if the pan isn't big enough). Scatter in the cherry tomato halves. Mix well to coat the pasta. Have a taste of the sauce and add more salt, pepper, chilli powder or mustard if needed. Toss the pasta and sauce into an oven dish and roughly level out with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle over the breadcrumbs. Slide the pasta into the oven and roast for 20 mins, till bubbling at the sides.
8. Spoon the mac and cheese onto plates and serve with a zesty green salad on the side.