- 4 skewers
- 1 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 150g yogurt
- 250g diced lamb
- 150g bulgar wheat
- 2 vine tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 50g sweet salad mix
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp + 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300ml boiling water
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Pop the skewers in a bowl or dish of water and leave them to soak - this will help stop them catching and burning later on.
2. Peel and finely grate the shallot and 1 of the garlic cloves into a dish. Grate in the lemon zest. Stir in 1 tsp turmeric and half of the yogurt. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and stir to mix. Add the lamb and turn it in the marinade, thoroughly coating it.
3. Set a pan over high heat. Add the bulgar wheat, a pinch of salt and ½ tsp olive oil. Toast for 1 min. Pour in 300ml boiling water (careful - it may splutter). Pop a lid on the pan. Turn the heat down. Simmer for 15 mins or till all the water has been absorbed. Once it’s done, take the pan off the heat and let the bulgar sit in the pan, lid on, to steam and finish cooking.
4. While the bulgar wheat cooks, finely dice the tomatoes and pop them in a bowl. Add a good pinch of salt to the tomatoes and mix it through to help release some of the tomatoey juice. Halve, peel and finely dice the onion and remaining garlic clove. Roughly chop the mint leaves. Add them all to the tomatoes and set aside.
5. Set a large frying pan over high heat. Thread the marinated lamb onto the skewers to make kebabs. Add them to the hot pan and fry each side of the kebabs for 4 mins or till nicely caramelised and just cooked through – to help them cook through and caramelise, set a plate weighed down with a tin or 2 on top of the cooking skewers – this will press them into the pan, giving them a lovely crust. Remove the kebabs from the pan.
6. While the kebabs cook, whip up a dressing made with 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp olive oil. Fold the mixed salad leaves through the dressing.
7. Toss the tomato salad through the bulgar wheat. Serve the kebabs with the tomatoey bulgar wheat, the salad, and dollops of the remaining yogurt.