- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 1 red onion
- 1 round courgette
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 35g sun dried tomatoes
- 200g chifferini or penne pasta
- 1 lemon
- A handful flat leaf parsley, leaves only
- 100g houmous
- 100g baby red chard
Prep: 10 mins Cook: 30 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and tip them into a roomy roasting tin. Halve and peel the red onion, then slice it into 8 wedges. Add them to the tin. Trim the ends off the round courgette and chop it into bite-size chunks. Add them to the tin.
2. Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into the tin and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Scatter over the cumin seeds and toss to mix. Slide the tin into the oven and roast for 30 mins till the veg are tender and a little charred, and the chickpeas are crisp.
3. While the chickpeas and veg roast, fill and boil your kettle. Snip the sun dried tomatoes into a heatproof bowl (or leave them whole if you prefer). Pour in enough hot water to cover the tomatoes, then set aside for 15-20 mins to soak, till the tomatoes are very soft.
4. Pour the remaining hot water into a large pan, topping it up with more water, if needed. Add a big pinch of salt, cover and set the pan on a high heat. Bring to the boil, add the pasta and simmer for 8-10 mins till the pasta is tender but still has a little bite to it.
5. While the pasta simmers, finely grate the zest from the lemon. Pick the parsley leaves off their stalks and roughly chop the leaves.
6. Drain the pasta and tip it back into the pan. Add the houmous and squeeze in the juice from half the lemon. Stir to mix. If the pasta seems a bit dry, you can add a splash of water from the bowl of soaking sun dried tomatoes.
7. Drain the sun dried tomatoes. Add them to the pasta with the roast chickpeas and veg. Add the baby red chard and toss to mix.
8. Divide the pasta and veg between 2 warm bowls. Garnish with lemon zest and parsley to serve.