- 400g tin of chickpeas
- 1 red onion
- 1 round courgette
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 200g chifferini or penne pasta
- 1 lemon
- A handful flat leaf parsley leaves
- 35g semi dried tomatoes
- 100g houmous
- 100g baby red chard
Prep: 10 mins Cook: 30 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and tip them into a roomy roasting tin. Halve and peel the red onion, then slice it into 8 wedges. Add them to the tin. Trim the ends off the round courgette and chop it into bite-sizes chunks. Add them to the tin.
2. Drizzle a little olive oil into the tin and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Scatter over the cumin seeds and toss to mix. Slide the tin into the oven and roast for 30 mins till the veg are tender and a little charred, and the chickpeas are crisp.
3. While the chickpeas and veg roast, fill and boil your kettle. Pour the hot water from the kettle into a large pan, topping it up with more water, if needed. Add a big pinch of salt, cover and set the pan on a high heat. Bring to the boil, add the pasta and simmer for 8-10 mins till the pasta is tender but still has a little bite to it.
4. While the pasta simmers, finely grate the zest from the lemon. Pick the parsley leaves off their stalks and roughly chop the leaves. Snip the semi dried tomatoes into small pieces.
5. Scoop a mudful of water out of the pasta pan (mind your fingers or use a ladle). Drain the pasta and tip it back into the pan. Add the houmous and squeeze in a little juice from the zested lemon. Stir to mix. If the pasta sems a little dry, add a spoonful or two of the pasta water till you get a smooth, creamy sauce.
6. Add the semi dried tomatoes, the roast veg and chickpeas to the pasta with the baby red chard. Toss to mix.
7. Divide the pasta and veg between 2 warm bowls. Garnish with the lemon zest and parsley to serve.