- 250g chicken breast mini fillets
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 150g white basmati rice
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, leave only
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 200ml boiling water
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Heat ½ tbsp oil in a large pan over a medium heat for 1 min. Fry the chicken for 5 mins, stirring often, till it’s browned all over.
2. While the chicken fries, peel and finely chop the onion. Lift the browned chicken out of the pan and pop it on a plate. Add another½ tbsp oil to the pan with the onion and a pinch of salt and pepper. Turn the heat down a little and fry the onion for 5 mins, stirring now and then, till the onion has softened a little.
3. While the onion fries, halve the peppers. Scoop out the seeds and white bits, and roughly chop them. Peel and crush the garlic. Chop the chicken into bite-size chunks.
4. Add the chopped peppers to the onion. Stir and fry for 3 mins to soften them a little. Add the chicken back into the pan.
5. Stir in the garlic and 1 tsp each ground cumin and smoked paprika. Stir in the rice. Add the chopped tomatoes. Pour in 200ml boiling water. Cover, bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 15-20 mins till the rice is cooked and tender.
6. While the chicken and rice are cooking, roughly chop the parsley leaves.
7. Divide the chicken, rice and vegetables between 2 warm plates. Top with the chopped parsley and serve straight away.
8. Divide the chicken, rice and vegetables between 2 warm plates. Top with the chopped parsley and serve straight away.