- 75g brown basmati rice
- 150ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- 2 aubergines
- 200g French beans
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp brown rice miso
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 spring onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 chilli (cayenne)
- 1 lemon
- Freshly ground pepper
- A handful of coriander, leaves only
1. Tip the rice into a bowl, cover with cold water and whisk for 1-2 mins till the water goes cloudy. Drain, rinse and tip the rice into a small pan. Pour in 150ml boiling water. Add a pinch of salt. Cover, bring to the boil, then turn the heat right down. Gently simmer for 20-25 mins till the water has been absorbed. Take off the heat and leave to steam, lid on, for 2-4 mins till the rice is cooked. The rice will stay warm in the pan.
2. While the rice simmers, preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Slice the aubergines in half lengthways. Use a sharp knife to score a crisscross into the cut sides of the aubergines – try not to cut all the way through. 1cm deep should do it. Trim the woody ends off the French beans.
3. Pour 2 tsp olive oil into a large frying pan and warm to a high heat. When the pan is hot, add the aubergine slices, cut-side down. Fry for 6-8 mins till golden and slightly charred. Flip the aubergines over and fry for a further 6-8 mins, till very soft.
4. Meanwhile, add 2 tbsp each brown rice miso and maple syrup to a bowl and stir to make a glaze.
5. Trim the spring onions and finely slice them. Peel and crush or finely chop the garlic. Halve the chilli, scraping out the seeds and pith for less heat. Finely chop the chilli. Pop the spring onion, garlic and chilli into a small bowl. Squeeze in the juice from the lemon and with 1 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to make a dressing.
6. Drop the French beans into a large roasting tin. When the aubergines have finished frying, carefully transfer them to the roasting tin, cut side up. Pour the miso glaze over the aubergines, spreading to evenly cover. Slide the aubergines and beans into the oven for 5-8 mins, till the aubergines are bubbling and the beans are tender.
7. Divide the rice between a couple of plates and top with the roasted beans and aubergines. Drizzle over the spring onion dressing and garnish with coriander leaves to serve.