- 500g new or salad potatoes
- 200g French beans
- 1 short cucumber
- A handful of basil
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- 1-2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 250g diced lamb leg
- 60g Hugh's summer salad leaves
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. If you're using wooden skewers, pop them in a bowl of cold water to soak – this will help prevent them catching and burning while cooking. Set aside.
2. Scrub the new potatoes under cold water. Slice them in half, quartering any larger ones, and slide them into a pan. Cover the potatoes with cold water and sprinkle in a pinch of salt. Pop the pan on the hob and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 mins, till tender.
3. While the potatoes cook, trim and peel the short cucumber (the peel can be bitter). Trim the woody ends off the French beans. Set aside.
4. Make the salsa verde. Put the basil leaves and the parsley leaves and stalks on a chopping board and finely chop them together. Slide the chopped herbs into a bowl. Peel the garlic and grate it in. Spoon in 1 tsp Dijon mustard. Grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in the juice from half the lemon (keep the rest for later). Pour in 2 tbsp oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir, then taste and add more mustard, salt or pepper, if you think it needs it.
5. Thread the diced lamb leg onto the skewers. Dust the lamb with a little salt and pepper. Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a heavy griddle or frying pan and warm over a high heat. Add the skewers to the hot pan and fry for 10-12 mins, turning the lamb every 2-3 mins, till browned on all sides.
6. When the potatoes are almost cooked, drop the French beans into the water. Cook for a further 2-3 mins, till tender. Drain the beans and potatoes and allow to steam dry in the colander.
7. Tip the potatoes and beans into a large bowl. Toss in the chopped cucumber and the salad leaves. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, 1 tbsp olive oil and the juice from the remaining lemon half. Toss to mix.
8. Divide the potatoes, beans and salad between two warm plates. Top with the lamb skewers, spoon over the salsa verde and serve.