- 1 aubergine
- 2 courgettes
- 2 red and/or yellow peppers
- 3 red onions, peeled and sliced
- A glug of olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tins of tomatoes
- 400g tin of butter beans, drained and rinsed
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- A good handful or two of breadcrumbs
- A good grating of Parmesan or Pecorino cheese
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Chop your veg into bite-sized pieces.
2. Heat a glug of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add your aubergine, courgettes, pepper, onions and some salt and pepper.
3. Sizzle your veg over medium heat till soft and a little coloured at the edges. Swirl in the garlic. Cook a mo. Season. Add your tinned toms, butter beans, thyme and bay, if using.
4. Bubble for five mins. Tumble the mix into a large baking dish.
5. Mix the breadcrumbs with a little olive oil and a good pinch of fresh thyme leaves, some pepper and a handful of freshly grated cheese.
6. Bake for 15 mins or till golden and crisp on top. Delicious with warm sourdough and a crisp green salad.