- 200g cavolo nero
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- 50g whole almonds
- A handful of mint, leaves only, plus extra to garnish
- 50g vegetarian Italian hard cheese, plus extra to serve
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 400g cherry vine tomatoes
- 2 x 400g gnocchi
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 10 mins
1. Fill a large pan with water and add a good pinch of salt. Set on a high heat, pop on a lid and bring to the boil.
2. While you wait for the water to boil, trim any dry ends off the cavolo nero and give the leaves a quick rinse under a cold tap. Shake the leaves dry and roughly chop them. Transfer the cavolo nero to a food processor. Peel and grate in the garlic clove. Grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in the juice from half the lemon. Add 50g whole almonds, the mint leaves and 50g vegetarian Italian hard cheese, roughly chopped or coarsely grated. Season with salt and pepper and pour in 3 tbsp olive oil. Whiz till the pesto is finely chopped and well combined. Taste and add more lemon juice, salt or pepper, if you think it needs it. If the pesto seems too dry, add a few tbsp water to loosen it (or extra olive oil, if you prefer).
3. Halve the cherry tomatoes. Pour 1 tbsp oil into a large frying pan and warm to a medium heat. Slide in the cherry tomatoes and cook for 2-3 mins, stirring occasionally, till they start to break down.
4. The water in the pan should be boiling by now. Carefully tip the gnocchi into the water. Cook the gnocchi for 2-3 mins, till they float to the surface. When they float, use a slotted spoon to scoop the gnocchi out of the water and transfer to the pan with the tomatoes.
5. Toss the gnocchi and tomatoes to combinegether. Scoop in the cavolo nero pesto and stir together to coat. Warm through for 1-2 mins. Divide the gnocchi between 4 warm plates. Grate over a little extra vegetarian Italian hard cheesevegetarian Italian hard cheese and garnish with a couple of mint leaves. Serve straight away.