- 1 garlic
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 250g diced chicken leg
- 80g bulgar wheat
- 1 red onion
- 2 vine tomatoes
- ½ cucumber
- 50g rocket
Prep: 25 mins + marinating | Cook: 15 mins
1. If you're using wooden skewers, put them in a dish or glass of water and set aside to soak. This will help stop them catching and burning when you grill the kebabs.
2. Peel and grate the garlic into a large bowl. Finely grate the zest from the lemon into the bowl. Add 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tbsp cider vinegar and ½ tbsp olive oil. Season with a little salt and pepper and stir to mix. Add the chicken to the bowl. Toss to coat in the marinade. Set aside to marinate for 10 mins.
3. While the chicken marinates, tip the bulgar wheat into a heatproof bowl. Boil your kettle, then add 150ml hot water to the bulgar wheat. Cover the bowl with a plate and set aside to soak for 15 mins. The bulgar wheat will absorb the water and become tender.
4. While the bulgar soaks, peel and finely chop the onion. Pop it in a large mixing bowl and squeeze over the juice from the half the lemon. Add a pinch of salt and scrunch together with your hands for 1 min to work the salt into the onion.
5. Dice the tomatoes. Dice the cucumber half. Add the tomatoes and cucumber to the bowl with the onion, but don't mix them into the onion and lemon juice just yet. Set aside.
6. Heat your grill to high. Line the grill pan with foil, or line a baking tray, and set a wire rack on top if you have one. Thread the chicken onto the skewers and lay them on the wire rack. Grill for 12-15 mins, turning 2-3 times, till the chicken is browned all over and cooked through – there should be no pink if you slice into a thick piece.
7. Drain any excess water off the bulgar wheat, then add the bulgar to the bowl of diced veg. Roughly chop the rocket and stir it into the bulgar and veg. Taste and add more salt and pepper if you think it needs it.
8. Serve the grilled chicken kebabs with the bulgar salad and the remaining lemon sliced into wedges for squeezing.