- 1 mug brown rice*
- 2 mugs water
- A pinch of sea salt
- A little olive or coconut oil
- 2-3 red or yellow chillies
- 1 thumb ginger, freshly grated
- 1 large garlic clove, finely grated or minced
- 1 tbsp agave or honey
- 1 tbsp cider or red wine vinegar
- A bundle of seasonal stir-fryable veg
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- Something green to garnish (spring onion, coriander, chervil, parsley…)
*Put this recipe into fast-forward mode by using white basmati or long grain rice instead. Cook 12 mins vs the 20 for brown rice. Brown rice is better but this is a great option if you're in a rush.
1. Heat a lidded pan. Add your rice. Lower heat. Add the water, salt and a drop of oil. Swirl through.
2. Pop the lid on. Simmer for 20 mins or till the water’s absorbed. Take off the heat. Leave the lid on. Let it steam for 5 mins.
3. Heat a large frying pan. Add your chillies without oil. Toast till they’re soft and a bit charred all over. Remove from the pan. Finely chop. Mix with the garlic, ginger, agave/honey and vinegar.
4. Add your veg to the pan the chillies were in. Sizzle till just soft and a bit charred. Add some oil at the end, if you like. Grate in some lime zest and a squeeze of lime.
5. Swirl the chilli sauce through your rice bit by bit. Taste as you go, getting the heat right for you. Season with soy sauce, to taste. Sprinkle over your greens.
6. Serve alongside your griddled, glossy veg.