- 1 cauliflower
- 150g plain flour
- Sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 egg
- 200 ml full cream milk
- 2 spring onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150g yogurt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- A handful of oregano, leaves only
- 50g peppery salad mix
1. Fill a pan with water, cover and bring to the boil. Slice the leaves off the cauliflower (you can save these for stir-fries or cooking as a side dish, like spinach). Break the cauliflower into small florets, then chop the stalk into bite-sized chunks. When the water is boiling, add the cauliflower and simmer for 10 mins till tender when pierced with a fork.
2. While the cauliflower simmers, make the batter. Tip the flour and 1 tsp baking powder into a mixing bowl and add a pinch of salt. Add 1 tsp each cumin seeds and turmeric. Whisk with a fork to mix.
3. Crack the egg into a separate bowl and pour in 200ml milk. Beat together to combine, then pour into the flour and whisk to make a smooth batter.
4. Trim the roots off the spring onions and slice away any ragged leaves. Thinly slice the spring onions, white and green parts. Add them to the batter. When the cauliflower is tender, drain it and tip it into the batter. Stir to mix everything together.
5. Pour ½ tbsp oil into a frying pan and warm to a high heat. Spoon in 4 large spoonfuls of the cauliflower mixture and flatten slightly with the back of a fish slice. Fry for 3-4 mins, till golden, then turn and fry for a further 3-4 mins. Transfer the fritters to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter, adding a little more oil each time. You should get around 16 fritters, and you can keep them warm by covering them loosely with foil, or putting them in the oven, set to the lowest temperature.
6. While the fritters are frying, peel the garlic clove and grate it into a bowl. Grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in half the juice. Finely chop the oregano leaves and add most of them to the bowl (keep a pinch back for garnishing). Stir in the yogurt, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and set aside.
7. When the fritters are all cooked, arrange them on 2 plates. Add a few handfuls of salad leaves to each plate and squeeze over the remaining lemon half. Serve with the garlicky yogurt on the side.