- 2 chicken thighs & 2 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tsp + 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 500g potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 45g butter
- 3 garlic cloves
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 250g cherry vine tomatoes
- ½ cucumber
- ½ tbsp cider vinegar
- 50g peppery salad mix
1. Preheat your oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5. Place 2 chicken thighs in a large roasting and rub 1/2 tsp oil and some salt and pepper into the skin on each one. Make sure they are skin side up in the tin, then slide the tin into the oven for 15 mins.
2. While the chicken thighs roast, scrub the potatoes and slice them into chips as big as your little finger. Pop them in a large bowl. Peel the onion and slice it into 6-8 wedges. Add to the chips. Drizzle 1/2 tbsp oil into the bowl and add a pinch of salt. Toss the chips and onion wedges together to coat them in the oil.
3. Take the roasting tin out of the oven and tip the chips and onion wedges into it. Spread them out so they are in just 1 layer. Rub 1/2 tsp oil into each drumstick, season and nestle them in the tin. Return the tin to the oven for 15 mins.
4. While the chicken and chips roast, place the butter in a small pan. Peel and crush the garlic, then add it to the butter. Finely chop the parsley stalks and leaves. Add most of them to the pan (keep a pinch back for garnishing). Warm the butter over a low heat for 2-3 mins, stirring, till it's melted and the butter, garlic and parsley are combined. Take off the heat and set aside.
5. When the chicken and chips have roasted for 15 mins, take the tin out of the oven. Brush or spoon half the garlic butter over the chicken pieces in the tin. Nestle the cherry vine tomatoes in the tin. Return the tin to the oven for 15 mins till the chicken pieces are golden and crisp and when you insert a skewer or knife into the thighs, the juices should be clear. The chips should be cooked through and the tomatoes just bursting.
6. While the chicken and chips finish cooking, halve the cucumber then slice one half in half lengthways. Slice into half moons. Add 1/2 tbsp vinegar to a large bowl and whisk in 1/2 tbsp oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the cucumber and salad leaves and toss to mix.
7. Arrange the chicken, chips and roast veg on 2 warm plates. Spoon over the remaining garlic butter. Add handfuls of salad to the plate and garnish with chopped parsley to serve.