- A few splashes of olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 red chilli, finely chopped (more or less, to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 heaped tsp mustard seeds
- 1 heaped tsp cumin seeds
- 1 heaped tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 white (or a firm green) cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 tin of coconut milk
- A bit of lemon or lime zest and juice
Spice rack empty?
Swap the fresh chilli and the dried spices for 1 heaped tbsp of one of our Chiman's spice blends, like the Colonel's Mild Curry Spice, or your favourite curry powder. Your cabbage will keep in the fridge till your next delivery.
1. Get a wok or a large frying pan hot. Add a splash of oil, the onion and a pinch of salt. Lower heat. Fry till tender. Stir often.
2. Mix in the garlic, chilli and ginger. Cook a mo, till softened. Add the cinnamon, bay and all the remaining spices. Stir till fragrant.
3. Fold the cabbage through. Bring the heat up. Add 1/2 mug of water. Let it sizzle and reduce right down, till it’s pretty much evaporated. Stir the cabbage as it cooks.
4. Once the water's gone, pour in the coconut milk. Stir. Cook till thickened a little. Grate in a little lemon/lime zest and a squeeze of juice. Taste. Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve warm with rice or naan.