1. Tip the rice into a bowl, cover with cold water and whisk for 1-2 mins till the water goes cloudy. Drain, rinse and tip into a small pan. Add 300ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Pop on a lid, bring to the boil then turn the heat down very low. Gently simmer for 25 mins till all the water is absorbed, then take off the heat and leave to steam in the pan, lid on. The rice will stay warm in the pan.
2. While the rice is cooking, peel the ginger and finely grate half of it into a small bowl. Whisk with 1 tbsp brown rice vinegar and a pinch of salt. Trim and peel the carrot, then peel it into ribbons using a veg peeler, turning the carrot as you go. Add the ribbons to the bowl and toss to coat them in the gingery pickling liquid
3. Place a frying pan or wok on a medium heat. Tip in the peanuts and toast for 3-4 mins, shaking the pan now and then. They should be golden. Tip them onto a clean tea towel and leave to cool.
4. Trim the dry end from the broccoli. Cut the stalk from the head and thinly slice the stalk into matchsticks. Cut the head into small bite-sized florets. Cut any large shiitake mushrooms in half, leaving the smaller ones whole. Trim the salad onions and slice them into 2cm pieces.
5. Halve the chilli and flick out most of the seeds if you prefer a little less heat. Finely chop the chilli and pop it into a small bowl. Peel and grate in the garlic along with the remaining ginger. Whisk in the tamari and remaining rice wine vinegar.
6. Rub the skins from the peanuts using the tea towel then finely chop them. Stir the baby leaf spinach through the cooked rice to wilt it.
7. Heat the frying pan or wok you toasted the peanuts in. When warm, drizzle in 1 tbsp oil and add the broccoli, shiitake and salad onions. Stir fry for 5 mins till the veg is tender but with a slight bite. Pour in the tamari sauce and cook for a further min. Tip into a bowl and cover to keep warm.
8. Wipe the pan clean. Place back on the heat for a few mins then drizzle in ½ tbsp oil. Crack in the eggs. Pop on a lid and fry the eggs for 2-4 mins, till the whites are set and the yolks are as cooked as you like.
9. Mix half the cooked veg through the rice. Heap into bowls. Top each with the remaining veg, the pickled carrots and a fried egg. Scatter over the peanuts to serve.