- 1 red onion
- 1 celery stick
- 1 carrot
- 1 large potato
- 300g beetroot
- 1 apple
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 150g Greek style yogurt
- ½-1 tbsp horseradish relish
- A handful of chives
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 35 mins
1. Peel and finely chop the onion. Warm a large pan over a medium heat, then add 1 tbsp oil and the onion. Season with a little salt and pepper, then pop a lid on the pan and sweat the veg for 8-10 mins till softened but not too browned. Stir occasionally, and if they start to brown, turn the heat down and add a splash of water.
2. While the onion sweats, trim the celery and finely chop it. Peel the carrot and potato and dice them into ½cm-thick cubes. Add the diced veg to the onion, stir, cover and sweat for 8 mins. Stir now and then.
3. While the veg sweat, scrub, peel and coarsely grate the beetroot (see our tip about stain-free prep). Quarter the apple, slice out the core and then coarsely grate it. Stir the beetroot and apple into the veg. Pop the lid back on and sweat for a further 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
4. Fill your kettle and boil it. Crumble the stock cube into a heatproof jug. Pour in 800ml hot water and stir to dissolve the stock cube. Pour the hot stock into the pan. Cover and simmer for 10 mins till the veg are tender.
5. While the veg simmer, spoon the yogurt into a bowl. Add ½ tbsp horseradish relish and stir to mix. Taste and add more relish, if you'd like more heat, and a crack of black pepper. Finely chop the chives.
6. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning. Ladle into warm bowls and top with the yogurt and chives to serve.
7. Purple Stains
Beetroot can be generous with its striking colour, so prepare it on a glass board or one you can wash up straight away. You can also wear gloves and an apron to keep your hands and clothes stain-free.