- 250g beef mince
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 celery stick
- 150g button mushrooms
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 200ml cold water
- 400g gnocchi
- 125g mozzarella
1. Put a pan on a medium-high heat and add ½ tbsp olive oil. Add the beef mince and fry, stirring often with a wooden spoon to break up any large lumps, for 8 mins till the mince is browned all over.
2. While the beef fries, peel and finely chop the onion. Trim the dry end off the celery stick and finely chop it to match the onion. Halve or quarter the button mushrooms.
3. When the beef is browned, scoop out of the pan and set aside on a plate. Add another ½ tbsp oil and the chopped veg. Season with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 5 mins till the veg are glossy and starting to soften.
4. While the veg cook, peel and crush the garlic. Stir the garlic into the veg. Cook, stirring, for 1 min.
5. Tip the beef back into the pan. Add 1 tsp dried oregano and pour in the tin of chopped tomatoes. Half-fill the tin with around 200ml cold water and add to the pan. Stir, pop on a lid (or use a baking tray if you don’t have a lid) and bring to the boil. When it’s bubbling, turn the heat down a little and simmer for 25-30 mins, stirring occasionally, till the bolognese sauce thickens.
6. Fill a separate pan with water, add a pinch of salt and set on a high heat to bring it to the boil. When the water is boiling, add the gnocchi and simmer for 3 mins till the gnocchi rises to the surface. Drain the gnocchi and set aside.
7. Drain the mozzarella and coarsely grate it. Set your grill to high. Divide the gnocchi between 2 heatproof serving dishes (or 1 big dish). Taste the bolognese sauce and add a pinch of salt or pepper if you think it needs it.
8. Top the gnocchi with the beef bolognese sauce and the grated mozzarella. Slide under the grill for 4-5 mins, till the cheese is melted and lightly coloured. Let the dish cool for a few mins before serving.