- 1 red onion
- 1 aubergine
- 100g nduja sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- A handful of rosemary, leaves only
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 400g tinned cherry tomatoes
- 400g gnocchi
- 100g mozzarella
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 35 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Peel and thinly slice the red onion. Trim the top off the aubergine then chop the aubergine into small pieces. Chop the nduja sausage into small pieces.
2. Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a large frying pan and warm to a medium-high heat. Slide the onion, aubergine and nduja into the pan. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and fry for 10 mins, stirring occasionally, till the aubergine has softened and everything has browned a little. If the veg and nduja brown too quickly, turn the heat down and add a splash of water to the pan.
3. Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the garlic. Pick the rosemary leaves and finely chop them. When the aubergine is soft, add the garlic and rosemary. Tip in 1 tsp fennel seeds. Cook and stir for 1 min.
4. Pour the tinned cherry tomatoes into the pan. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down a little and simmer for 5 mins.
5. Stir the gnocchi into the pan and stir to coat in the sauce. If your pan is ovenproof, tear the mozzarella over the top and slide the pan into the oven to bake for 20 mins. If the pan isn't ovenproof, transfer the gnocchi and sauce to an ovenproof dish, tear over the mozzarella and bake for 20 mins till bubbling and golden.
6. Divide the baked gnocchi between a couple of warm plates and serve straight away.