- 6 pork sausages
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stick
- 2 garlic cloves
- A handful of rosemary, leaves only
- A handful of sage
- 500ml chicken stock
- 150g dark speckled lentils
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard, to serve
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 40 mins | Total: 55 mins
1. Peel and finely chop the onion. Peel the carrot and finely chop it. Trim the ends off the celery and chop it to match the onion and carrot. Peel and thinly slice the garlic. Pick the rosemary and sage leaves and finely chop them.
2. Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into a large pan and warm it to a medium heat. Add the sausages and fry them for 6-8 mins, turning every few mins, till browned all over. Lift the browned sausages out onto a plate and set aside. Put the empty pan back on the heat and add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, rosemary and sage. Season with salt and pepper then fry for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally, till softened.
3. Tip 150g dark speckled lentils into the pan. Pour in 500ml chicken stock. Add the sausages back to the pan and bring to the boil. Cover the pan with a lid, turn the heat down to a gentle simmer and cook for 20-25 mins, till the lentils are tender.
4. While the lentils cook, finely chop the parsley leaves and stalks. Ladle the sausages, lentils and broth into shallow bowls and serve topped with dollops of Dijon mustard and the chopped parsley.