- A few glugs of olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4-5 cloves
- ½ mug of white basmati rice (brown is lovely if you have a little longer for it to cook)
- 1 mug of water
- A punnet of mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- A pinch of chilli powder (or fresh red chilli)
- ½ lemon
- A handful of chopped walnuts (optional)
- A large handful of parsley
Delicious served with a red lentil dal and a dollop of natural yogurt.
1. Splash a glug of oil to a warm sauce pan. Add the onions and a pinch of salt. Cook till they start to soften.
2. Swirl in the cinnamon and cloves. Sizzle a mo. Fold in the uncooked rice. Let it toast for a moment. Then add the water.
3. Let it boil up. Pop a lid on. Reduce heat and simmer for 12 mins.
4. As it cooks, sizzle the mushrooms in a hot frying pan with some oil. Season well.
5. Once the mushrooms are golden, add the garlic. Sizzle till softened. Add chilli powder, lemon zest and a good squeeze of juice. Swirl in the walnuts. Let them toast a little.
6. When the rice is done, let it steam (lid on) for 5 mins longer. Fold it through the mushroom mix. Taste. Adjust seasoning.
7. Scatter parsley over. Serve.