- 75g white basmati rice
- 1 garlic
- 1tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 250g chicken breast mini fillets
- 1 mango
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1 red chilli
- A handful of mint
- 1 lime
- 35g peanuts
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 1 shallot
- Sea salt
- 150ml boiling water
Prep: 30 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Tip the rice into a bowl. Cover with cold water. Whisk for 1-2 mins (you can use a fork) till the water goes cloudy (this is the starch). Drain the rice, rinse under cold water and tip back into the bowl. Cover with fresh cold water. Set aside.
2. Peel and grate or crush the garlic. Place in a bowl with 1 tbsp curry paste and stir together with a pinch of salt. Slice the chicken fillets so you have an equal number of finger-length pieces. Add them to the curry paste. Mix together. Set aside to marinate.
3. Peel the mango. Slice the flesh off the mango stone, then finely slice into matchsticks. Alternatively, if you have a julienne peeler, use that to peel thin ribbons off the mango. Pop into a bowl.
4. Slice the cucumber into 4 pieces. Halve each piece and scoop out the seeds. Slice into long, thin sticks (or use a julienne peeler) and add to the mango. Trim and peel the carrot. Coarsely grate it or use a julienne peeler. Add to the mango and cucumber.
5. Peel and finely slice the shallot. Finely slice the chilli (scoop out the seeds beforehand if you want less heat). Add to the mango salad. Tear in the mint leaves. Juice the lime and mix with 1 tsp of the sugar and a pinch of salt. Add to the salad. Toss to mix.
6. Tip the peanuts into a dry frying pan. Toast, shaking the pan, for 2-3 mins till the peanuts are golden brown. Tip into a clean tea towel. Let them cool for a few mins, then rub off the skins and roughly chop them.
7. Drain the rice. Tip into a pan. Add 150ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Cover. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat right down and simmer for 6-8 mins till all the water is absorbed.
8. Heat your grill. Thread the chicken onto skewers. Lay on a foil-lined grill pan and cook for 10-12 mins, turning once or twice, till the chicken is a little charred and cooked through. Serve the warm skewers with the mango salad and the rice, with the peanuts scattered over.