- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 50g fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 chillies
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- Juice of 2 limes
- Sea salt
Recreate the flavour of your favourite Indian dish with this aromatic mix of spices. Use it to make our Tandoori Spiced Lamb Chops recipe), or try rubbing it into a chicken or lamb leg before roasting, spread over fish before grilling, or rubbed into tofu or halloumi before frying.
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 5 mins | Makes: 200g
1. Toast 2 tsp cumin seeds in a dry frying pan for a few mins till they start to pop and smell aromatic. Tip into a mortar.
2. Toast 2 tsp mustard seeds in the pan for a few mins till they pop. Add to the cumin. Crush 6 cardamom pods and shake the black seeds into the mortar. Grind to make a fine powder. Add 2 tsp each garam masala and ground coriander and a pinch of turmeric. Add a pinch of chilli powder (optional).
3. Peel and finely grate 50g ginger and 4 garlic cloves. Finely chop 4 chillies, flicking out the seeds and white bits for less heat. Add to the spices and pound to make a rough paste.
4. Stir in 2 tbsp tomato purée, the juice of 2 limes and a large pinch of salt. Store in a clean, airtight jar in the fridge. Use within 1 week.