- 150g brown basmati rice
- 190g marinated tofu
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 chilli
- 50g tamari
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 2 spring onions
- 250g kale
- A handful of Thai basil, leaves only
- 300ml boiling water
- Sea salt
- ½ tbsp sunflower, coconut or olive oil
- 2 tbsp cold water
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Tip the rice into a large bowl and cover with cold water. Whisk for 1-2 mins till the water goes cloudy. Drain and rinse. Tip the rice into a small pan. Add 300ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Cover. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat right down. Simmer for 25 mins till all the water is absorbed. Take the rice off the heat and leave in the pan, with the lid on, to steam and finish cooking.
2. While the rice cooks, drain the tofu and slice it into cubes around 2cm across. Pop on a plate lined with kitchen paper and set aside.
3. Peel and crush or grate the garlic. Halve the chilli, flick out the seeds and pith, and finely chop it. Pop them both in a bowl. Stir in the tamari, 1 tbsp of the Worcester sauce and 1 tbsp sugar. Stir together for a few mins till the sugar starts to dissolve.
4. Trim the roots and top 1cm off the spring onions. Finely slice them on the diagonal. Slice the leaves off the tough kale cores. Finely shred the leaves.
5. Put a wok or deep frying pan on a high heat for 2 mins. When it’s hot, add ½ tbsp oil and the tofu. Fry for 5-8 mins, turning once or twice, till the tofu is golden and crisp. Lift it out of the pan with a slotted spoon and pop it on a plate.
6. Add the spring onions and kale to the wok with 2 tbsp water. Stir fry for 3 mins till the veg start to wilt. Add the tofu back to the pan and pour in the tamari dressing. Stir fry for 3 mins.
7. Fluff the rice with a fork and spoon it into 2 warm bowls. Top with the tofu and veg and scatter over the Thai basil leaves to serve.