- 2 red onions
- 4 carrots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1kg sweet potatoes
- A handful of rosemary, leaves only
- 1 chilli (optional)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 x 400g tins of mixed beans
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 100ml boiling water
- 200g kale
- 1 limes
1. Peel and finely chop the red onions. Peel and finely dice the carrots. Peel and grate or crush the garlic. Place a large pan on the heat for 2 mins. Add 2 tbsp olive oil along with the onions and carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on a gentle heat for 8 mins, stirring now and then, to soften the veg and lightly colour it.
2. While the veg cook, peel and chop the sweet potatoes into 2-3cm chunks. Finely chop the rosemary leaves. Finely chop the chilli, flicking out the seeds for less heat, or leave it out completely if you prefer a milder dish.
3. When the onions and carrots have cooked for 8 mins, add the garlic, rosemary, chilli and 2 tsp cumin seeds. Cook for 2 mins, stirring. Fill and boil the kettle.
4. Add the sweet potatoes to the pan. Tip in the tin of mixed beans, liquid and all. Pour in the tin of chopped tomatoes, along with 100ml hot water from the kettle. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper, then pop on a lid and cook for 15 mins. Stir every now and again, adding a splash of water if the chilli looks dry or too thick.
5. While the chilli cooks, finely shred the kale leaves, discarding any really tough or dry stalks. Grate the zest from both limes.
6. After 15 mins, add the kale to the pan and gently stir to mix. Cook for 3-4 mins till the kale has softened. Add the lime zest and squeeze the juice from 1 lime. Taste and add more salt or pepper if you think it needs it.
7. Spoon the chilli into warm bowls and serve with wedges of the remaining lime to squeeze over.