- 500g new potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 500g broad beans
- 1 red onion
- 80g Kalamata olives
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 1 cos lettuce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 20 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 5. Trim the dry ends from the fennel. Cut the bulbs into chunky wedges. Tip into a roasting tin and toss with 1 tbsp oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 25 mins, turning halfway, till caramelised.
2. Scrub the Jersey Royals clean and halve or quarter them into similar-sized pieces. Tip into a large pan and cover with about 5cm water. Add a good pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 mins, till tender.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, boil the eggs. Fill a small pan with boiling water and bring back to the boil and carefully lower in the whole eggs. Cook for 6-8 mins, depending on how hard boiled you like your eggs, then drain. Set aside to cool.
4. Pod the broad beans. When the potatoes have about 2 mins of cooking time remaining, add the beans to the pan. Drain everything well and tip into a large bowl. Peel and finely slice the onion and add to the bowl, along with the olives.
5. Peel and grate the garlic into a small bowl. Grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in the juice. Stir in 1 tsp dried oregano, a pinch of salt and pepper and 2 tbsp olive oil. Pour over the potatoes and beans and toss to dress.
6. Tear the lettuce leaves. Carefully crack the egg shells and peel them away. Slice the peeled eggs in half with a sharp knife.
7. Fold the lettuce and the roast fennel through the rest of the salad. Arrange on warm plates and finish with the eggs on top. Crack over a good grind of black pepper and tuck in.