- 1 orange
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- A pinch of ground ginger
- 2 cloves
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 gammon steaks
- ½ green cabbage
- 2 leeks
- 1 red pepper
- 150g white basmati rice
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- A splash of olive oil
- 250ml hot water
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 15 mins
1. Finely grate the zest from half the orange. Juice it. Grind the 2 cloves, then add a pinch of ground cinnamon and a pinch of ground ginger. Mix the orange zest and juice with 2 tsp of your mixed spices and 1 tbsp of the honey in a bowl. Season with pepper.
2. Slice the gammon into strips. Add to the marinade. Mix well. Put to one side. Fill a kettle and put it on to boil.
3. Halve the cabbage. Slice out the thick core. Finely shred it. Rinse well. Trim the leeks. Slice a cross in the tops so you can open the layers out. Rinse. Finely slice. Rinse and halve the pepper. Scoop out the seeds and white bits. Slice into fingers.
4. Tip the rice into a small pan. Pour in 250ml hot water from the kettle. Add a pinch of salt. Cover. Bring to the boil. Turn the heat right down. Simmer for 6 mins till all the water is absorbed. Take off the heat. Steam, lid on, for 2-4 mins till the rice is cooked.
5. Heat a splash of oil in a deep frying pan or wok. Add the leeks and pepper. Stir-fry for 4-5 mins till starting to soften.
6. Lift the gammon out of its marinade with a slotted spoon (keep the marinade). Add the gammon to the pan. Stir-fry over a high heat for 4-5 mins till cooked through.
7. Add the cabbage, the marinade and a splash of hot water from the kettle. Stir-fry for 4-5 mins till the cabbage has wilted. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Serve with the steamed rice.