- 2 mugs of veggies, coarsley grated or roughly chopped*
- 1 egg
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- Your choice of spice: cumin, chilli, paprika, cinnamon, fresh ginger or a mix
- A handful of greenery (herbs, spinach, kale...), finely chopped
- ½ mug of plain white flour, plus extra for dusting
- A splash of olive or sunflower oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
*Coarsely grated veg that works a treat include: courgettes, carrots, parsnips, swede, celeriac and potatoes. But you can also make these with other veggies, too, like cauliflower and broccoli, just roughly chop, steam until tender. Roughly mash and add to the mix.
1. Whisk the egg until frothy. Add the grated veg or roughly mash the cooked veg and add it. Mix with the garlic, a good pinch of salt and pepper, your choice of spices and herbs or greens. Dust ½ the flour over and give it a good mix. Add a bit more flour if the mix still looks quite wet.
2. Place a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a good gloss of oil.
3. Scoop up your veg mix into golf ball-sized spoonfuls. Dollop into the pan and flatten with a spatula or the back of a spoon. You should be able to cook about 3 fritters at a time (2-3 fritters each makes a good starter or side dish). Sizzle until golden on each side.
4. Delicious with yogurt, mango chutney or chilli jam.