- 150g white basmati rice
- 1 onion
- A few chioggia beetroot
- A handful of dill
- 2 large handfuls of lamb's lettuce
- 2 smoked mackerel fillets
- 1 lemon
- A splash of olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 25 mins
1. Tip the rice into a bowl. Pour in enough cold water to cover it. Leave to soak for around 10-20 mins while you chop and cook the veg.
2. Peel and finely chop the onion. Peel the beetroots and finely chop them. Finely chop the dill, throwing away any thick stalks.
3. Warm a glug of olive oil in a pan. Add the onion. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook over a medium heat for around 5 mins till the onion is soft and lightly coloured.
4. Add the beetroot. Pop on the lid. Turn the heat down and let the beetroot cook for 5 mins or till it is just softening up.
5. Boil a kettle. Drain the rice. Tip into the pan and stir. Pour in 250ml hot water from the kettle. Pop on the lid. Bring to the boil. Simmer for about 6 mins. Leave to steam, lid on, for 3-5 mins.
6. While the rice cooks, pick any large stalks out of the lambs lettuce. Slice the lemon into wedges. Heat your grill to high.
7. Pop the mackerel on a grill pan lined with foil. Bung under the grill for 10 mins till the mackerel is warmed through and a little crisp on top.
8. Stir most of the dill and the lambs lettuce into the rice. Taste and add more salt and pepper if you think it needs it. Serve with the mackerel, the last of the herbs and lemon wedges.