- 75g pearl barley
- 200ml boiling water
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 shallots
- ½ chilli
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- 1 garlic clove
- 200g Brussels sprouts
- 2 apples
- 50g rocket
1. Fill your kettle and boil it. Tip the peal barley into a small pan. Pour in 200ml boiling water and add a little salt. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 20-25 mins, till tender.
2. While the pearl barley is cooking, zest and juice the lemon into a large bowl. Measure in 2 tsp honey and 2 tbsp olive oil. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper and whisk well.
3. Peel and thinly slice the shallots and add to the bowl. Halve the chilli and flick out the seeds and white pith. Finely chop half the chilli and add to the lemony dressing (or use the whole chilli for a spicier flavour). Finely chop the mint leaves and add those too. Peel and finely grate in the garlic clove. Whisk and set to one side.
4. Trim the sprouts and remove any tatty leaves. Slice them as thinly as possible. You can use a mandoline or the slicing attachment on a food processor if you have them. Add to the bowl.
5. Quarter the apples and slice out the core. Slice the apples as thinly as possible. Add to the bowl. Toss to mox.
6. When the barley is cooked, drain away any excess water and shake dry. Shake as much water off as possible. Add to the bowl and toss everything together. Taste and add more salt or pepper if you think it needs it.
7. Divide the rocket between a couple of warm plates and top with the shredded sprout salad. Serve straight away.