- 2 beetroot
- 1 apple
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp horseradish relish
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 35g pine nuts
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
1. Scrub the beetroot clean, peel and coarsely grate them into a large bowl. Cut the apple into quarters and slice out the core. Coarsely grate the apple (including the skin). Peel the onion and thinly slice it. Stir the apple and onion into the beetroot.
2. Peel and crush or finely chop the garlic clove. Slide into a small bowl. Add the horseradish relish along with the juice from the lemon, 1 tbsp oil and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Stir together.
3. Bring a dry frying pan to a medium-high heat. Scatter in the pine nuts and fry for 2-3 mins, stirring frequently, till golden brown all over. Tip the toasted nuts into the beetroot salad.
4. Finely chop the parsley and add to the beetroot salad. Pour in the horseradish and lemon dressing and stir well to mix. Serve with the trout and leeks.