- 1 large or 2 smaller red peppers
- 6 tbsp almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- A pinch of chilli powder
- 1 large slice of stale bread, torn into pieces
- A drop of red wine or cider vinegar
- A few glugs of olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- A handful of parsley
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Pop your peppers in the oven till soft and the skin blackens, about 20 mins.
3. Meanwhile, toast the almonds in a warm frying pan. Sizzle the bread in a splash of oil in a pan till golden. Pop in a food processor with the almonds, garlic cloves, paprika and chilli. Whizz till it's all ground up. Do in batches, if needed.
4. Let the cooked peppers cool a bit. Strip off the skin. Deseed. Add the flesh and a splash of oil to the almond mix. Whiz till fairly smooth. Season. Add more oil if needed. Keeps in the fridge for 3-4 days, and freezes well.
5. For the pasta dish: mix the sauce, cooked penne, a few spoons of the pasta’s cooking water, a glug of olive oil and some roast broccoli (pop seasoned florets in a warm roasting tin in a high oven for 15 mins). Finish with chopped parsley and toasted almonds.