- 2 pointed red peppers
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 garlic cloves
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 150g pearl barley
- 200g runner beans
- 1 lemon
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 300ml boiling water
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 35 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Halve the peppers lengthways and flick out the seeds and membrane. Halve the cherry tomatoes. Nestle both ingredients snugly in a roasting tin.
2. Peel and grate 1 garlic clove into the tin and sprinkle in the thyme leaves and 1 tsp smoked paprika. Toss together with a good pinch of salt and pepper and 1 tbsp oil. Slide into the oven and roast for 25-30 mins.
3. Peel and grate the remaining garlic clove. Finely slice the spring onions, keeping the white and green parts separate.
4. Pour 1 tbsp oil into a pan and bring to a medium heat. Slide in the garlic, white spring onion slices and 1 tbsp cumin seeds and fry gently for 2 mins. Add the pearl barley and a good pinch of salt, and pour in 300ml boiling water. Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer for 20 mins, till the grains are tender.
5. Trim and slice the runner beans. When the pearl barley has had 20 mins, stir in the beans and continue to cook for a further 2-3 mins. Grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in the juice. Pour in 1 tbsp oil and stir well to combine.
6. Pile the barley onto plates and top with the roasted peppers and tomatoes. Finish with a scattering of the green spring onion tops.