- 1 butternut squash
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ras el hanut
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 400g chickpeas
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 100g kale
- 1 lemon
- 40g tahini
- 1 pomegranate
- 25g pumpkin seeds
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 30 mins
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Halve your squash and scoop out the seeds. Slice the squash into wedges (no need to peel). Pop in a roasting tin.
2. Drizzle over 1 tbsp oil. Add 1 tsp ras el hanut and some seasoning. Turn the wedges to coat them in the oil and spices. Slide onto the top shelf of your oven. Set the timer for 30 mins.
3. Drain the chickpeas and add them to the bowl. Peel the onion and slice into wedges. Peel and crush the garlic. Add them to the bowl with 1 tsp ras el hanut and ½ tbsp oil. Season and toss together.
Spread out on a baking tray. Slide onto a shelf below
the butternut squash and roast for 25 mins (see our
tip for timings).
4. Tear the soft kale leaves off the hard cores. Put the leaves in the bowl and swirl them round to pick up any leftover oil and spices. Massage them for 2 mins, then set aside.
5. After your chickpeas have roasted for 25 mins, add the kale and pumpkin seeds and roast for a further 5 mins till a little browned.
6. Grate or pare the zest off the lemon and set aside. Juice it. Mix the lemon juice with the tahini and ½ tbsp oil. Halve the pomegranate. Hold one half in your hand, cut-side down, over a bowl and whack with a wooden spoon to shake out the seeds. Repeat with the other half.
7. The squash should be tender and a little charred, and the kale and chickpeas browned. Arrange the squash, kale, chickpeas and onion on warm plates. Drizzle over the tahini sauce. Scatter over the pomegranate and pumpkin seeds to serve.