- 1 tbsp Spanish seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves
- A handful of rosemary, leaves only
- 4 chicken legs
- 400g carrots
- 1 celery stick
- 400g vine tomatoes
- 2 red onions
- 800g tinned chickpeas
- 1 orange
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 300ml water
You can marinate the chicken up to 24 hrs before you intend to cook this dish. Follow the marinating steps 1-2, then place the chicken and marinade in a bowl or tub and cover. Store in the fridge. When you;re ready to cook the dish, follow the recipe from steps from 3 onwards.
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Tip 1 tbsp Spanish seasoning onto a large plate. Peel and grate or crush the garlic. Finely chop the rosemary leaves. Add the garlic and rosemary to the plate with 2 tbsp olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Mix to a smooth paste.
2. Remove the chicken from its packaging and pat it dry with kitchen paper. Make 4 or 5 deep cuts in each chicken leg. Place them on the plate with the marinade and rub it in, working it into the cuts you made. Cover and set to one side. See our tip above about getting ahead.
3. Trim and peel the carrots. Cut them into 2cmthick slices. Trim the celery stick and thickly slice it. Cut the tomatoes into 6 wedges each. Peel and thinly slice the red onions. Using a veg peeler, peel the zest from the orange, avoiding as much of the white pith as possible.
4. Add all the veg and the orange zest to a large roasting tin (or 2 medium roasting tins – see our tip). Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Add them to the tin. Pour over the tin of chopped tomatoes and 300ml cold water. Add a large pinch of salt and pepper and gently stir together. Set the chicken legs on top, scraping over any extra marinade from the plate. Cover the tin tightly with foil. Slide into the oven to roast for 35 mins.
5. After 35 mins, remove the tin from the oven and crank the oven up to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Remove the foil from the tin and slide it back into the oven for 25 mins to finish cooking the chicken and crisp up the skin.
6. When the chicken has cooked for a total of 1 hr, remove it from the oven. Check the chicken is cooked by inserting a sharp knife into the thickest part, near the bone. The juices should run clear. Cook a little longer if not.
7. Serve the chicken with the chickpeas, veg and sauce, tearing over the parsley leaves to garnish.