- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 garlic clove
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- A handful of dill
- 1 lemon
- 400g tin of butter beans
- 100g mozzarella
- 50g rocket
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 25 mins
1. Heat your oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas 4. Trim the base and any dry ends from the fennel (saving any wispy green fronds for later). Halve the fennel and thinly slice it. Scatter the fennel slices into a roasting tin and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and some salt and pepper. Slide into the oven and roast for 20-25 mins, till caramelised around the edges and tender.
2. Meanwhile, peel the garlic and crush or finely grate it. Pick the mint leaves off their sprigs and finely chop them, along with the dill fronds. Zest the lemon. Slide the garlic, herbs and zest into a small bowl. Squeeze in 1 tbsp lemon juice and pour in 1 tbsp olive oil. Add a little salt and pepper and whisk to make a dressing.
3. Drain and rinse the butter beans. Shake dry and tip them into a large bowl. Tear the mozzarella into pieces and add to the bowl.
4. When the fennel is roasted, add it to the bowl with the butter beans. Scatter over the rocket. Pour over the dressing and toss to coat. Pile the salad onto plates and serve topped with any reserved fennel fronds.