- 1 aubergine
- 1 onion
- A punnet of cherry tomatoes
- A tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- A handful of oregano
- 1 lemon
- A gloss of olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 40 mins
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Set a roasting tray on the top shelf to heat up.
2. Halve your aubergine lengthways. Cut into 1 cm-thick slices. Pop in a large bowl.
3. Halve, peel and cut your onion into 2 cm slices. Add the onions and cherry tomatoes to the bowl. Gloss with oil.
4. Season well. Tumble it all into your hot roasting tray. Shake to get it all in a single layer. Roast for 20 mins or till the veg is tender and a bit charred round the edges.
5. Add 1 peeled, chopped garlic clove and the tin of tomatoes to the roasted veg. Fill the tin full of water. Add it. Stir through. Return to the oven for 5 mins.
6. Put the veg mix in a food processor or blender. Whizz till smooth. Trickle in enough boiling water or stock till it's runny as you like.
7. Peel and finely chop the remaining garlic. Strip the leaves from your oregano. Finely chop. Mix the garlic and oregano together with the zest of your lemon, 3 tbsp lemon juice and 3 tbsp of olive oil. Season to taste. Trickle in a little more oil, if needed.
8. Finish your soup with a drizzle of the oregano pesto.