- 500g potatoes
- 25g flaked almonds
- 200g purple sprouting broccoli
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- A handful of mint, leaves only
- 50g watercress
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 20 mins
1. Scrub the potatoes and cut them into chunky, bite-sized pieces. Tumble the potatoes into a pan and cover with cold water. Add a generous pinch of salt, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 mins, till tender.
2. While the potatoes cook, put a dry frying pan on a medium heat and add the flaked almonds. Toast for 2-3 mins, shaking the pan, till browned. Tip the flaked almonds into a bowl.
3. Trim any woody ends off the purple sprouting broccoli. Halve any thick stems so the pieces are roughly the same thickness. Put the empty frying pan back on a high heat. Add the broccoli and fry in the dry pan for 2-3 mins, till slightly charred on the outside. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in 5 tbsp cold water and stir well. Continue to cook for a further 3-4 mins, till the water has evaporated and the broccoli is tender with a slight bite. Slide the cooked broccoli into a large bowl.
4. Squeeze 1 tbsp lemon juice into a small bowl. Spoon in 1 tbsp Dijon mustard and 1 tbsp olive oil. Season with a little salt and pepper and whisk with a fork to make a dressing. Taste and add more salt and pepper, lemon juice or oil if you think it needs it. Shred the mint leaves.
5. Drain the potatoes and let them to steam dry in the colander for a few mins. Toss them into the bowl with the broccoli. Pour over the dressing and stir to combine. Fold in the watercress and the shredded mint. Divide the salad between plates and finish with a scattering of the toasted almonds.