- 125g brown or Thai rice noodles
- 1 litre veg or beef stock or broth
- 400g chilli & garlic beef stir-fry strips
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 4cm bit fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 cinnamon stick or 2 star anise
- 1 lime
- A splash of tamari
- A little olive or sesame oil
- 2 handfuls of roughly chopped bok choi or seasonal greens
- 2 handfuls of mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls of sprouts
- Fresh mint, basil and/or coriander
1. Soak the noodles in enough cold water to cover for 30 mins or until fully softened.
2. Place the stock in a pot along with half the chilli, half the ginger, the cinnamon or star anise and a grating of lime zest. Simmer for 20mins, which you prep the other ingredients.
3. Warm a frying pan over a high heat. Once hot, add the beef in a single layer, cooking in batches if needed, till golden on both sides.
4. Halve the limes and arrange on a platter or cutting board with the remaining chilli, bean sprouts and herbs.
5. Taste the stock, add more chilli or ginger, as needed – you want it to have a bit of bite and a touch of earthy spice. Squeeze in the juice from one of the limes. Add a dash of tamari to give it depth.
6. Once you’re happy with it, drain the noodles and add them, along with the cooked beef strips. Stir in the bok choi and mushrooms. Warm through for a moment. Ladle between bowls, pouring as much broth over as you like. Scatter remaining chilli, sprouts and herbs over the top. Squeeze in a bit of lime juice and get slurping!