- 1 red onion
- 250g cherry tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- 200g spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- 60g tofu & basil pesto
- 400g gnocchi
- Freshly ground pepper
1. Peel and thinly slice the red onion. Halve the cherry tomatoes. Peel and grate or crush the garlic. Finely grate the zest off the lemon. Trim any dry ends from the spinach leaves and thinly slice the leaves and stalks.
2. Warm a deep frying pan on a medium-high heat for 2 mins then add 1 tbsp olive oil, the onion and tomatoes. Season with a good pinch of salt then fry for 5 mins, stirring now and then, till the tomatoes are soft and collapsing and the onion is glossy.
3. Meanwhile, tip the pesto into a small bowl and squeeze in the juice from half the lemon. Stir and set to one side.
4. When the tomatoes and onion have cooked for 5 mins, add the spinach, garlic and lemon zest to the pan with the tomatoes and turn the heat down to low. Cook for 5 mins, stirring often, till the spinach has wilted and the pan is fragrant.
5. Meanwhile, put a second frying pan on a medium heat. Drizzle in 1 tbsp olive oil and tip in the gnocchi. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper and fry for 5 mins, turning once or twice, till the gnocchi is golden and crisp.
6. When the tomatoes and spinach have cooked for 5 mins, pour in half of the lemony pesto mixture and stir. Tip in the fried gnocchi and stir everything together. Taste and add more salt or pepper if you think it needs it.
7. Serve the gnocchi and veg on a couple of warm plates, drizzled in the remaining lemony pesto, and with lemon wedges on the side for squeezing.