- 1 garlic bulb
- 300g beetroot
- 1 onion
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 750ml boiling water
- A handful of thyme, leaves only
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 200g risotto rice
- A handful of flat leaf parsely
- 200g half fat crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 50g sweet salad mix
- 1 lemon
- 75g Perl Las cheese
1. Heat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Pull 1 clove of garlic from the bulb and set aside. Wrap the rest of the garlic bulb in foil and pop it in the oven to roast for about 40 mins. Meanwhile, trim and peel the beetroot and coarsely grate into a bowl. Peel and finely chop the onion.
2. Crumble the stock cube into a measuring jug. Top up with 750ml boiling water. Stir to dissolve the stock cube.
3. Warm 1 tbsp oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion. Season with salt and pepper. Fry for 5 mins till the onion is glossy. Stir often. Peel and crush the reserved garlic clove.
4. Stir the beetroot, crushed garlic and risotto rice into the onion. Pour in the vegetable stock. Add the thyme leaves, bring to the boil, then ladle the risotto into a casserole or ovenproof dish.
5. Pop a lid on the casserole dish or cover it tightly with foil. Bake for 30 mins till the rice is soft. Remove the lid or foil and cook for 5-10 mins, till the risotto has dried out a little. While the risotto cooks, finely chop the parsley stalks and leaves.
6. The roasted garlic bulb should be soft by now. Squeeze the flesh from the half the cloves using the back of a knife (see our tip on what to do with the leftover cloves). Stir the roast garlic through the crème fraîche with 1 tbsp Dijon mustard and plenty of salt and pepper. Add more garlic to taste.
7. Tip the salad leaves into a bowl. Squeeze the lemon juice into a small bowl and whisk with 1 tbsp oil and some seasoning. Drizzle over the salad. Toss to mix.
8. Taste the risotto and adjust the seasoning. Swirl half the roasted garlic and mustard cream and half of the Perl Las cheese through with some of the flat leaf parsley. Top with the remaining garlicky cream and cheese, and a garnish of parsley. Serve with the salad on the side.