- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 chilli
- A handful of rosemary, leaves only
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 400ml boiling water
- 200g gnocchetti or penne pasta
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 35 mins
1. Warm your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6. Fill and boil your kettle. Warm 1 tbsp olive oil in a large ovenproof pan on a medium-high heat (if your pan isn't ovenproof, a large pan is fine – see step 4). Rub the chicken breasts with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the hot pan and fry for 3 mins on each side, till golden brown, then lift out onto a plate.
2. While the chicken is cooking, peel and finely chop the onion. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Finely chop the chilli (if you prefer less heat, you can halve the chilli and scrape out the seeds and pith before chopping). Pick the rosemary leaves and finely chop them.
3. Pop the empty chicken pan back on a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chilli and rosemary and 1 tsp dried oregano. Season with salt and pepper and fry for 4-5 mins, stirring often, till the veg have browned slightly.
4. Pour the chopped tomatoes and 400ml boiling water into the pan. Let it come to a simmer, then stir in the gnocchetti pasta. If your pan isn't ovenproof, at this stage you can spoon the pasta and sauce into an ovenproof dish. Nestle the chicken fillets into to the sauce.
5. Slide the pan or dish into the oven and cook for 20 mins, stirring halfway, till the pasta is tender and the chicken is cooked through. Taste the sauce and add more salt or pepper if needed. Divide the chicken arrabiata between 2 warm plates and serve.