- 500g potatoes
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- 45g butter
- 1 lemon
- 2 chicken breast fillets, skinless & boneless
- 200g chestnut mushrooms
- 200g purple sprouting broccoli
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 250ml boiling water
1. Preheat your oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7. Scrub the potatoes and cut them into chips as thick as your finger. Scatter the chips into a roasting tin and pour over 1 tbsp oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper and toss to coat. Slide the chips into the oven for 40 mins, turning halfway, till golden and crisp on the outside and fluffy in the middle.
2. Meanwhile, finely chop the parsley leaves and stalks. Peel the garlic and crush or finely chop it. Slide the parsley and garlic into a bowl and add the butter. Grate in the zest from the lemon and add a pinch of salt and pepper. Mash the mixture together with a fork to combine.
3. Use a small knife to cut open a small pocket in the fattest part of each chicken breast fillet. Carefully insert the garlic butter into each pocket.
4. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Pour 1 tbsp oil into a frying pan and warm to a medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts. Do not touch or move them for about 3 mins, or till a nice golden crust has formed underneath. Turn over and cook for a further 3 mins.
5. While the chicken cooks, halve the chestnut mushrooms. Trim any dry ends off the broccoli. Scatter the mushrooms and broccoli onto a baking tray and toss with a little salt and pepper and 1 tbsp oil.
6. When the chicken is golden on both sides, nestle the fillets into the veg on the tray (set the frying pan to one side for making the gravy in the next step, no need to wipe it clean). Slide them onto the shelf below the chips. Roast for 15-20 mins, till the chicken is cooked through.
7. Meanwhile, pour 250ml boiling water into a heatproof jug, crumble in the stock cube and stir to dissolve. Return the empty frying pan to a medium heat. Add 1 tbsp flour and stir for 1 min. Slowly stir in the chicken stock, till thickened and smooth. Warm through for 2-3 mins.
8. Pop the naked chicken kievs onto a couple of plates and add the roast veg and chips. Pour over the warm chicken gravy and serve.